Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Percy Jackson and the Olympians

Since I started work again I have picked up some more audio books. My buddy Christopher talked about this new series called Percy Jackson and the Olympains, it sounded pretty cool so I got all five books on CD to listen on my drive in and from work. Here's a brief synopsis: Percy Jackson & The Olympians is a series of adventure and fantasy books authored by Rick Riordan. Set in the United States, the series is prominently based on Greek mythology. The series consists of five books, as well as spin-off titles such as The Demigod Files and Demigods and Monsters.

The protagonist is Percy (Perseus) Jackson who discovers that he is the son of Poseidon, god of the sea and earthquakes. He learns that the legendary beings of Greek mythology still exist, including monsters, Cyclopes, Empousai, Titans, and also the Olympians (Greek gods) themselves who dwell in Olympus, now situated at the mythical 600th floor of the Empire State Building. Monsters frequently attack him because he is a child of one of the "Big Three" (Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades). Percy meets many other young demigods, both friendly and hostile, who are also in the process of discovering their heritage and powers.

So far I have listened to book 1 The Lightning Thief and book 2 The Sea of Monsters and today I started book 3 The Titan's Curse. They are fairly short books and not super complicated to understand. I love Greek mythology so I'm really enjoying all the reference in these books.
They are a fun read, not as engaging as Harry Potter but very enjoyable and I look forward to the further adventures of Percy Jackson.

No comments:

Post a Comment