Sunday, October 4, 2009

Doggie Scare

Today Harry and I took the day off from painting or doing anything to the house. Instead we were going to have a nice relaxing day. We did plan to go to Home Depot to pick up some wooden dowels to fix our Cal King bed as the mattress where being dropped off today.

Around noon I went into the kitchen to make some lunch and I noticed an empty box of D-Con rat poison pellets. When we moved in that box was full and since it was in the pantry it never crossed our mind that our Dog might eat them. Well a few days ago we took the door off to be painting so that room was open for a few days and sure enough the full box of pellets were gone. Immediately I thought that Daisy ate the poison and ran to my computer to look up what to do next. Everything on line said it's most likely fatal and the dog won't show signs of sickness for 24 to 72 hours and Daisy has been fine. I called our contractor to see if any of his workers spilled the box and dumped the pellets but he said he wasn't aware of it. I think called our vet and once I told them what happened they said you need to bring her in immediately. So Harry and I grabbed the dog and headed down to our vet.

They took her in right away and a vet came out and asked me what happened. I explained the situation and she left. She came back and said they gave her a large dose of Vitamin K. They also drew blood and would know for sure tomorrow if she actually at the poison or if something else happen to it. They also gave us some vitamin K pills to give to Daisy for the next two weeks. I asked the vet if she is going to be alright and the vet said if she did eat the poison a few days ago she is showing no normal signs of being poisoned and with a few months of the vitamin K treatment she should be fine. So it's still a wait and see but things seem to be okay. It was a scary moment thinking we might lose her, she's a pain in the ass sometimes but she is still our baby.

Of course this little interruption caused us to not go to Home Depot and we had to reschedule the mattress deliver to tomorrow. Oh and this vet visit cost us over $450, but she is part of our family and worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment