Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Streamy Awards 2010

Today was the 2nd annual Streamy Awards (Oscars for the web). I got invited by The Guild and was excited to be attending. I had been invited last year but opted not to go so I was really looking forward to this...

... If I knew then what I know now I would have opted out again this year.

Anyways, got ready around noon and found out that my 1 pair of dress pants were slightly to small and the black dress shirt I was going to wear had the top button missing. So a quick trip to Kohl's to grab another pair of pants and shirt. Got home around 2 and ate a quick lunch. Dressed and sure enough my red suspenders snapped... and I had to go with my black pair.

Got on the road about 2:30 as I wasn't sure how long it was going to take to get to downtown LA and I needed to be there (so I thought) by 4pm for the red carpet. I got there around 3:45pm and headed in. Went to the VIP/red carpet side and found out that I was not in the right place. Instead I had to walk around the block to the front of the building and get my "general" admission ticket there and stand in line.

First of all.. this year was very different then last years. I'd figure I would have access to The Guild cast as I was there to do a microcast for Knights of the Guild. But since everyone was in the VIP section and I was part of the general admission that was not going to happen.

So luckily a fellow Guild crew member Andrew was in line and allowed me to join him (thank goodness for this or I would have been totally alone). We waited in line for about an hour before they let us in. Once inside we were directed to the upper balcony for seating. We did manage to get second row from the front over on the right side of the auditorium. Then we waited a half hour for the show to start.

I won't go into great detail about the show, but will highlight some of the good and bad.

Bad:

* Technical issues: this is to be expected for a "live" event, just not so many all at once.)

* Video Screens: Since I was in the upper balcony I could not see any of the activities happening with the celebrities down below, I could only hear the audio. This did many skits with the audience and it became very annoying after a while.

* Vulgar and Raunchy humor: I don't mind smart dirty humor but this was low brow and stupid.

* Do the gag and move on: Some of the gags were funny but then they would go on and on and on and they became less funny as they went.

* To many homophobic and rude jokes: I'm a gay man and I know they were in jest but there is a limit and they crossed it.

Good:

* Felicia Day: She won Best Actress in a Comedy Series later in the show but she showed such class with her acceptance speech (best one of the night).

* Sean Becker: He won for Best Direction in a Comedy Series. This was so well deserved as he works hard in every aspect of The Guild

* Paul Scheer: He hosted the show and though some of the writing was horrible he came up with some pretty funny jokes and made the best of a bad situation.

* Autotune The News: They presented a very cool youtube inspired Autotune video.. they also preformed one of there skits live and when they won their award the four of them sang their acceptance speech in harmony and it was one of the highlights of the night.

* And of course the two male streakers, some folks didn't like but I thought it was funny and kind of lighten the mood.

After the ceremony I couldn't find any of the Guild cast and really had had enough of this event so I headed home. I did talk with Jenni and she was working press with Tubefilter but did manage to get a few interviews with The Guild cast so I'm hoping we can do a short microcast about the event in the future.

**** Thank you to WorldofHiglet for the screen grabs. You can see more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment