Saturday, April 18, 2009

Never judge a book by it's cover

Last Saturday on a British TV show called Britain's Got Talent as very modest and quirky woman took the stage to laughs, eye rolling and ridicule from the crowds and judges. Then she opened her mouth and this angelic sound came from it. The crowd went crazy with applause, the judges jaws dropped and this very sweet older lady blew away this crowd.

My friend Tim Tweeted and posted on the Treksf forums the video of this since being in the US I wasn't able to see this. I watched it on Monday morning and was in tears. It was so inspirational, moving and the perfect way to start my week.

What is more is this woman's background and the life she lead. She had been taking care of her dying mother for years and years until recently when she passed away. She lives with her cat Pebbles and has never been kiss. So the song she sang I Dreamed a Dream from Les Miserable just fit her life so well, it added another dimension to this lovely woman's performance.

Now five days later I still cry watching her performance and am moved beyond words.. I've watch it about 20 times so far. Her video on YouTube has had more then 16 million hits in five days, she has become a worldwide celebrity over night and I couldn't be more happier for her.

Today I watched her first (of many) US appearance on CBS Morning Talk Show and she is very quiet and awkward and you can tell she still not quite sure what is happening.. but she sang again live and it was FANTASTIC.

Bottom line is we put FAR TOO MUCH emphasis on looks and FAR TOO LITTLE on just accepting a person for his or herself. And shame on us. I have never been one to judge people on look alone but this video and Susan's courage to stand up there as inspired me to double my effects in accepting everyone. Susan, you are an inspiration. You are a BEAUTIFUL person with a voice to match!!

If you haven't seen her check her out on you tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment