Friday, September 25, 2009

MOVING DAY!!!!!! (Remodeling Day - Twenty-Five)

The Day is finally here.. were are official moving too our new house. I didn't think this day would ever come. Though the new house isn't done with remodel or painting the major stuff has been done. I'm very excited to move in so this new house feels like our home, because so far it doesn't. Yes I go there everyday to work but then go back to the rental to sleep. I'm hoping with this move the house will actually feel like it's ours.

The day started with some more packing as I couldn't get it all done the day before. Harry had to run an errand while I went to Ralphs to rent a carpet steamer. Once Harry got back we headed to U-haul to pick up our truck at 10:30am. On the way there I realized that my drivers license had expired two day prior on my birthday and though I renewed it I hadn't gotten my new one yet. Was afraid I wasn't going to be able to rent it. So we get there and before we start I mention that my licenses had expired but is renewed and valid. She asked if I had anything to prove that and of course I didn't since I thought about it while driving there. Well they need a valid DL so I could not rend the U-haul. I then asked if Harry could rent it with his Austrian DL and she said no that he would need an international DL, which Harry then said.. "Oh I have one of those" and gave to the lady who said great this will work. As she was filling out the form she got an error and then informed us that he International DL had expired 3 months prior and we could not use it. Now we are screwed, as we can't rent the U-Haul without a valid DL. So I get on the phone and start calling and texting friends hoping one would be willing to come help us out. The folks I did get a hold of were either busy or working... so we hit another dead end. I then figured I'd go to the DMV and see if I could get proof that my license was valid. So Harry and I drove to the DMV, stood in line for about 15 minutes and got up to the counter. I explained my situation and she was happy to print me out a temp DL. So we headed back to the U-Haul and rented the truck. Now our schedule was off by an hour with this unexpected detour.. we were determined to get back on track.

As we were loading up the truck my friend Will came over to pick up a few items that we no longer wanted. Once he was done we finished packing up the truck. We got the 17' truck and got almost everything loaded. We had forgotten our tools so we couldn't dismantle the bed and we left a few odds and end that we would pick up tomorrow. We also packed up Harry's truck with some of the overflow. It took a lot longer to load the truck then I expected.. but then again it was just Harry and I. We got done around 3:30pm

So we were off.. I drove the U-Haul and Harry drove his truck. Along the way Harry stopped to pick up some lunch as we were starving. I got to the house about 15 minutes before him. We ate lunch and did a few things around the house. We hooked up our TV to Direct TV and with a little assistance got that all working. We watched a little bit a TV before heading out to unload the truck. We first unloaded stuff to our back deck that we knew was going into the house. We then drove the truck over to the garage to unload stuff that will be either in my Toy Room or storage. It was night fall when we finally got done. We had some dinner and watched some TV. Since we haven't gotten our mattress for our new bed we just put on the floor the queen mattress of our old bed, now the guest bed.. it was a long day but things are finally coming together

No comments:

Post a Comment