Sunday, November 16, 2008

Driving to Dads

Today Harry and I went to visit my Dad. At first I wasn't sure we were going to go because of all the fires in the area. We knew freeways were shut down and that traffic might be really bad. So we checked online to see if any of the freeways we take were closed and everything was opened at the moment. I then called Dad to see what it was like out in his area and he said it was blue skies and not a hint of smoke in the area.

So Harry and I got in the jeep and headed over. It was hot in the low 90's and we had to roll down the windows so as we were speeding along we had smoke filled hot air rushed into the jeep. I kept looking around and noticing that everyone around us had their windows rolled up but Harry and I had decided that we would rather have smoky air then be sweaty and hot. As we drove the air got worse and worse. I had never seen it that bad here in southern California. The skies were brown and the air had a brown haze hanging about.

Once we got to Burbank the air was really bad and I started to have breathing problems. I asked if Harry was okay and he said he wasn't having any problems. it was though I was at a high elevation and the oxygen was very thin. I almost turned around and went home as I didn't like the feeling of not being able to breath. But we continued and as we went we would find decent area of light brown skies to really bad areas of dark brown skies.

We saw blue skies as we got to Chino Hills, it was amazing as it just suddenly was blue and there was no smoke as far as the eye could see. When we got to dads in Corona it was a beautiful sunny blue day. It seems the hills kept the smoke back and you would never know there were raging fires just a few miles away. So we spent a very nice "smoke" free day with my Dad, brother and sister-in-law.

No comments:

Post a Comment