Saturday, November 28, 2009

Home Stuff

Today while Harry was outside cleaning up the drains we have on our hillside I was putting up the toilet and towel bar up. And of course it never goes as planned. I first stated with the toilet paper bar. I got everything ready and pre-drilled the holes with our new drill, I then started to screw the plate to the side of the cabinet and realized that the screws that came with the bar were so crappy that the drill and all it's power striped them. I then had one screw almost in all the way and the other one two-thirds of the way out. I then found better screws that we had lying around and screwed in the second support piece with no issue. I had to take a pair of pliers and slowly unscrew the one that was two-thirds of the way out. It was a slow process but I manage to get that screw out. I went to the other one and sure enough as my luck would have it.. the tip broke clean off leaving the screw stuck in the cabinet. In frustration I accidentally knocked over the drill and snapped the drill bit in half. I was not a happy camper. I persevered and slowly but surely I unscrewed the broke screw from the cabinet. Once I had that out I used two better screws and had the toilet bar up in no time.

My next adventure was putting up the towel bar. There were already holes form the previous towel bar but again as my luck would have it they were horizontal and of course our new towel bar had vertical holes so I have to first drill holes and then hammer in the drywall screw supports. It wasn't as bad as the toilet bar but it wasn't a cake walk.. in the end both bar are up and look very nice. What I thought would be a half hour job turned into a two hour pain in the butt... I love home ownership.

No comments:

Post a Comment